Fried Brown Rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- In a saucepan, on high heat, bring water to a boil. Add salt and rice. Cover, and turn heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Cool to room temperature.
- Heat olive oil in a wok or a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until tender.
- Add the carrots, peas and garlic, and cook for one to two minutes.
- Push all the ingredients to the edge of the pan. Break the eggs in the center of the pan and cook, stirring constantly with a heat resistant spatula to break up the egg and prevent it from sticking to the pan (add a little more oil if needed).
- Add the cooled brown rice and mix well. Add 2 to 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (use less if using regular soy sauce), sesame seed oil and sesame seeds. Mix well making sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Taste, and add more soy sauce if needed