- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 package Phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 2 ¼ cups ground walnuts
- For the syrup:
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together eggs, sugar, yogurt and oil. Set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray. Place 9 phyllo sheets on the bottom of the pan, spraying after every sheet. Top with approximately a quarter of the egg mixture, then sprinkle with a third of the ground walnuts. Add 3 phyllo sheets, spraying between each sheet, then spread with a quarter of the egg mixture and sprinkle with a third of the nuts. Repeat one more time (3 sheets, quarter mixture, nuts) then layer 6 phyllo sheets on top, again spraying between each sheet. Top the baklava with the remaining egg mixture and spread evenly.
- Cut the baklava into squares (it is important to cut it BEFORE baking!). Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until nicely browned.
- In the meantime make the simple syrup by cooking together the sugar and water over medium heat. Stir and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Once the baklava is baked and while it’s still hot, cut it again (with a sharp knife, go over the cuts you already made) and then immediately pour the simple syrup evenly over it. Cool at room temperature.
- Note: This is even better the day after it is prepared, because the texture is best after the baklava sits uncovered overnight.
- Recipe Type : Sugar High