- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden.
- Add chopped bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add rice, salt, cumin and chili powder. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, tomato sauce and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork.