Sweet Orange Scones
- For the dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 6 Tablespoons cold butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- For the filling:
- Finely grated zest of 2 large oranges
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened (not melted)
- 7 Tablespoons white sugar
- For the topping:
- Leftover egg wash (see instructions)
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar.
- Slice the cold butter into 6 pieces, and using a pastry blender or two knives cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, creating an egg wash. Measure out a ¼ cup of the egg wash and set aside for later (for the topping). Pour the remaining egg wash in the center of the flour mixture. Using one hand, mix in a full circle, drawing in the flour from the sides of the bowl. Do not over mix! Just bring the mixture gently together into a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a large rectangle (about ⅛ to ¼ inch thick). Combine the filling ingredients until well blended and spread evenly on the dough. Roll the dough into a large log and cut into 14 segments.
- Dip one side of each piece in the remaining egg wash, and then in white sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet (dipped side facing up) and bake for 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to 425 degrees and continue baking for 8 to 10 more minutes.