Nutty Rice Pilaf
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- Heat a medium saucepan (one with a tight-fitting lid) over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat olive over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the rice and salt, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add raisins and chicken broth, cover with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 15 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- Let rice sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Add nuts, and fluff the pilaf with a fork.