Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Heat olive oil in large pot, over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, garlic, sweet potato and the seasonings (salt through cocoa powder). Cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes (including liquid), black and kidney beans, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for approximately 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Optional: Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and chopped avocado.