- Olive oil
- 1 large leek
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms, any type
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 7 to 8 cups vegetable broth
- 12 scallops (size U-10)
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the white part of the leek into ¼ inch slices and discard the green parts. Place the sliced leek into a large bowl of cold water and rinse (any dirt stuck in the leek will drop to the bottom of the bowl and the leeks will stay floating on top). Remove the leeks from the water, and dry completely using a kitchen towel.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet (or pot). Add leeks and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for a few minutes until the leeks are tender.
- Add the Arborio rice and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly and only adding the next ½ cup once all the liquid has been absorbed. Keep cooking, adding liquid and stirring for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Taste, and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Wash the scallops and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season the scallops with salt and pepper on both sides, and add them to the hot pan. Make sure they are not touching each other, and once they are in the pan, do not move them around until you’re ready to flip them. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (Do not overcook them or they will be chewy.) Serve scallops over risotto.