FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Optional: 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks (preferably at room temperature)
- ½ cup key lime juice
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a fork, mix together melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar and coconut (if using). Press mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie pan, making sure the mixture covers the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool. (Do not turn the oven off.)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add lime juice and continue beating until fully incorporated. Pour mixture into cooled crust. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool pie to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least a few hours or until fully chilled.
- Once ready to serve, make the whipped cream. In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff. Spoon (or pipe using a pastry bag) onto the pie.