- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with a piece of aluminum foil longer than the pan, so that it hangs over the edges of the pan. (That way you can grab those edges of the foil and easily remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, both sugars and vanilla.
- Add egg and egg yolk, mix until combined.
- Add salt, baking soda and flour. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon start folding the flour into the wet ingredients.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined. (The dough will be very thick.)
- Press the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 24 minutes, until the bars are light golden brown on the edges.
- Leave in pan to cool for approximately 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut into small rectangles.