- 2 to 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- To the skillet, add the ground meat and season with salt. Cook, stirring and breaking the meat into small pieces.
- While the meat is cooking, combine sesame oil and cornstarch in a medium-size mixing bowl. Using a fork, mix until the cornstarch has completely dissolved. Slowly add soy sauce, and whisk until fully incorporated. Whisk in the remaining sauce ingredients.
- After the meat is fully cooked, drain any remaining liquid from the pan.
- Pour sauce over meat, stir, and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens a bit. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Serve over rice.