This is the bread I make almost weekly. Occasionally I’ll make four or six loaves in one day and freeze them. My kids love it! I added flaxseed meal to this recipe to make the bread healthier, but don’t let that scare you off. The final result is just a really great tasting homemade bread.
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 package (.25 ounce) active dry yeast (or 2 ¼ teaspoons)
- 3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Combine honey, warm water and yeast in a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer, with a hook attachment). Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the yeast mixture. Knead for approximately 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth. (If the dough is too sticky, add a bit more all-purpose flour.)
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and then with a dish towel. Let the dough rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Grease two 9×5 inch bread pans with non-stick spray. Divide the dough in half. Pull one half into a rectangular shape, and starting at short side, roll up into a log. Place into one of the greased pans, and repeat with the other half. Cover both pans with plastic wrap and a dish towel. Let rise for approximately 30.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaves for approximately 30 to 35 minutes